Key: "S:" = Show Synset (semantic) relations, "W:" = Show Word (lexical) relations
Display options for sense: (gloss) "an example sentence"
- S: (v) originate, initiate, start (bring into being) "He initiated a new program"; "Start a foundation"
- S: (v) initiate, pioneer (take the lead or initiative in; participate in the development of) "This South African surgeon pioneered heart transplants"
- S: (v) initiate, induct (accept people into an exclusive society or group, usually with some rite) "African men are initiated when they reach puberty"
- S: (v) broach, initiate (bring up a topic for discussion)
- S: (v) lead up, initiate (set in motion, start an event or prepare the way for) "Hitler's attack on Poland led up to World War II"