Key: "S:" = Show Synset (semantic) relations, "W:" = Show Word (lexical) relations
Display options for sense: (gloss) "an example sentence"
- S: (n) composure, calm, calmness, equanimity (steadiness of mind under stress) "he accepted their problems with composure and she with equanimity"
- S: (n) calm air, calm (wind moving at less than 1 knot; 0 on the Beaufort scale)
- S: (v) calm, calm down, quiet, tranquilize, tranquillize, tranquillise, quieten, lull, still (make calm or still) "quiet the dragons of worry and fear"
- S: (v) steady, calm, becalm (make steady) "steady yourself"
- S: (v) calm, calm down, cool off, chill out, simmer down, settle down, cool it (become quiet or calm, especially after a state of agitation) "After the fight both men need to cool off."; "It took a while after the baby was born for things to settle down again."
- S: (v) sedate, calm, tranquilize, tranquillize, tranquillise (cause to be calm or quiet as by administering a sedative to) "The patient must be sedated before the operation"
- S: (adj) calm, unagitated, serene, tranquil (not agitated; without losing self-possession) "spoke in a calm voice"; "remained calm throughout the uproar"; "he remained serene in the midst of turbulence"; "a serene expression on her face"; "she became more tranquil"; "tranquil life in the country"
- S: (adj) calm ((of weather) free from storm or wind) "calm seas"