Key: "S:" = Show Synset (semantic) relations, "W:" = Show Word (lexical) relations
Display options for sense: (gloss) "an example sentence"
- S: (v) suppress, stamp down, subdue, conquer (bring under control by force or authority) "suppress a nascent uprising"; "stamp down on littering"; "conquer one's desires"
- S: (v) oppress, suppress, crush (come down on or keep down by unjust use of one's authority) "The government oppresses political activists"
- S: (v) inhibit, bottle up, suppress (consciously restrain from showing; of emotions, desires, impulses, or behavior) "suppress a smile"; "he let his anger bottle up until he exploded"
- S: (v) suppress, repress (put out of one's consciousness)
- S: (v) suppress (lessen to the point of stopping) "suppress a yawn"; "this drug can suppress the hemorrhage"