Key: "S:" = Show Synset (semantic) relations, "W:" = Show Word (lexical) relations
Display options for sense: (gloss) "an example sentence"
- S: (v) suppose, say (express a supposition) "Let us say that he did not tell the truth"; "Let's say you had a lot of money--what would you do?"
- S: (v) think, opine, suppose, imagine, reckon, guess (expect, believe, or suppose) "I imagine she earned a lot of money with her new novel"; "I thought to find her in a bad state"; "he didn't think to find her in the kitchen"; "I guess she is angry at me for standing her up"
- S: (v) speculate, theorize, theorise, conjecture, hypothesize, hypothesise, hypothecate, suppose (to believe especially on uncertain or tentative grounds) "Scientists supposed that large dinosaurs lived in swamps"
- S: (v) presuppose, suppose (take for granted or as a given; suppose beforehand) "I presuppose that you have done your work"
- S: (v) presuppose, suppose (require as a necessary antecedent or precondition) "This step presupposes two prior ones"