Key: "S:" = Show Synset (semantic) relations, "W:" = Show Word (lexical) relations
Display options for sense: (gloss) "an example sentence"
- S: (n) string, twine (a lightweight cord)
- S: (n) bowed stringed instrument, string (stringed instruments that are played with a bow) "the strings played superlatively well"
- S: (n) string (a tightly stretched cord of wire or gut, as a part of an instrument or a tennis racket)
- S: (n) string, train (a sequentially ordered set of things or events or ideas in which each successive member is related to the preceding) "a string of islands"; "train of mourners"; "a train of thought"
- S: (n) string (a linear sequence (as of characters, words, proteins, etc.))
- S: (n) drawstring, drawing string, string (a tie consisting of a cord that goes through a seam around an opening) "he pulled the drawstring and closed the bag"
- S: (n) string (a tough piece of fiber in vegetables, meat, or other food (especially the tough fibers connecting the two halves of a bean pod))
- S: (n) string, cosmic string ((cosmology) a hypothetical one-dimensional subatomic particle having a concentration of energy and the dynamic properties of a flexible loop)
- S: (n) string (a collection of objects threaded on a single strand)
- S: (n) chain, string, strand (a necklace made by stringing objects together) "a string of beads"; "a strand of pearls"
- S: (v) string, thread, draw (thread on or as if on a string) "string pearls on a string"; "the child drew glass beads on a string"; "thread dried cranberries"
- S: (v) string, string up (add as if on a string) "string these ideas together"; "string up these songs and you'll have a musical"
- S: (v) string, string along (move or come along)
- S: (v) string (stretch out or arrange like a string)
- S: (v) string (string together; tie or fasten with a string) "string the package"
- S: (v) string (remove the stringy parts of) "string beans"
- S: (v) string (provide with strings) "string my guitar"