Key: "S:" = Show Synset (semantic) relations, "W:" = Show Word (lexical) relations
Display options for sense: (gloss) "an example sentence"
- S: (n) part, portion, component part, component, constituent (something determined in relation to something that includes it) "he wanted to feel a part of something bigger than himself"; "I read a portion of the manuscript"; "the smaller component is hard to reach"; "the animal constituent of plankton"
- S: (n) part, portion (something less than the whole of a human artifact) "the rear part of the house"; "glue the two parts together"
- S: (n) part, piece (a portion of a natural object) "they analyzed the river into three parts"; "he needed a piece of granite"
- S: (n) part (that which concerns a person with regard to a particular role or situation) "it requires vigilance on our part"; "they resisted every effort on his part"
- S: (n) region, part (the extended spatial location of something) "the farming regions of France"; "religions in all parts of the world"; "regions of outer space"
- S: (n) function, office, part, role (the actions and activities assigned to or required or expected of a person or group) "the function of a teacher"; "the government must do its part"; "play its role"
- S: (n) character, role, theatrical role, part, persona (an actor's portrayal of someone in a play) "she played the part of Desdemona"
- S: (n) share, portion, part, percentage (assets belonging to or due to or contributed by an individual person or group) "he wanted his share in cash"
- S: (n) part, section, division (one of the portions into which something is regarded as divided and which together constitute a whole) "the written part of the exam"; "the finance section of the company"; "the BBC's engineering division"
- S: (n) part, parting (a line of scalp that can be seen when sections of hair are combed in opposite directions) "his part was right in the middle"
- S: (n) part, voice (the melody carried by a particular voice or instrument in polyphonic music) "he tried to sing the tenor part"
- S: (n) contribution, part, share (the effort contributed by a person in bringing about a result) "I am proud of my contribution in advancing the project"; "they all did their share of the work"
- S: (n) piece, part (an item that is an instance of some type) "he designed a new piece of equipment"; "she bought a lovely piece of china"; "my dog swallowed a Lego part"
- S: (v) separate, part, split (go one's own way; move apart) "The friends separated after the party"
- S: (v) separate, part, split up, split, break, break up (discontinue an association or relation; go different ways) "The business partners broke over a tax question"; "The couple separated after 25 years of marriage"; "My friend and I split up"
- S: (v) depart, part, start, start out, set forth, set off, set out, take off (leave) "The family took off for Florida"
- S: (v) separate, divide, part (come apart) "The two pieces that we had glued separated"
- S: (v) separate, disunite, divide, part (force, take, or pull apart) "He separated the fighting children"; "Moses parted the Red Sea"