Key: "S:" = Show Synset (semantic) relations, "W:" = Show Word (lexical) relations
Display options for sense: (gloss) "an example sentence"
- S: (n) hero (a man distinguished by exceptional courage and nobility and strength) "RAF pilots were the heroes of the Battle of Britain"
- S: (n) hero (the principal character in a play or movie or novel or poem)
- S: (n) champion, fighter, hero, paladin (someone who fights for a cause)
- S: (n) Hero, Heron, Hero of Alexandria (Greek mathematician and inventor who devised a way to determine the area of a triangle and who described various mechanical devices (first century))
- S: (n) hero ((classical mythology) a being of great strength and courage celebrated for bold exploits; often the offspring of a mortal and a god)
- S: (n) Hero ((Greek mythology) priestess of Aphrodite who killed herself when her lover Leander drowned while trying to swim the Hellespont to see her)
- S: (n) bomber, grinder, hero, hero sandwich, hoagie, hoagy, Cuban sandwich, Italian sandwich, poor boy, sub, submarine, submarine sandwich, torpedo, wedge, zep (a large sandwich made of a long crusty roll split lengthwise and filled with meats and cheese (and tomato and onion and lettuce and condiments); different names are used in different sections of the United States)