Key: "S:" = Show Synset (semantic) relations, "W:" = Show Word (lexical) relations
Display options for sense: (gloss) "an example sentence"
- S: (n) delay, hold, time lag, postponement, wait (time during which some action is awaited) "instant replay caused too long a delay"; "he ordered a hold in the action"
- S: (n) wait, waiting (the act of waiting (remaining inactive in one place while expecting something)) "the wait was an ordeal for him"
- S: (v) wait (stay in one place and anticipate or expect something) "I had to wait on line for an hour to get the tickets"
- S: (v) wait, hold off, hold back (wait before acting) "the scientists held off announcing their results until they repeated the experiment"
- S: (v) expect, look, await, wait (look forward to the probable occurrence of) "We were expecting a visit from our relatives"; "She is looking to a promotion"; "he is waiting to be drafted"
- S: (v) wait, waitress (serve as a waiter or waitress in a restaurant) "I'm waiting on tables at Maxim's"