Key: "S:" = Show Synset (semantic) relations, "W:" = Show Word (lexical) relations
Display options for sense: (gloss) "an example sentence"
- S: (n) Tell, William Tell (a Swiss patriot who lived in the early 14th century and who was renowned for his skill as an archer; according to legend an Austrian governor compelled him to shoot an apple from his son's head with his crossbow (which he did successfully without mishap))
- S: (v) state, say, tell (express in words) "He said that he wanted to marry her"; "tell me what is bothering you"; "state your opinion"; "state your name"
- S: (v) tell (let something be known) "Tell them that you will be late"
- S: (v) tell, narrate, recount, recite (narrate or give a detailed account of) "Tell what happened"; "The father told a story to his child"
- S: (v) order, tell, enjoin, say (give instructions to or direct somebody to do something with authority) "I said to him to go home"; "She ordered him to do the shopping"; "The mother told the child to get dressed"
- S: (v) tell (discern or comprehend) "He could tell that she was unhappy"
- S: (v) assure, tell (inform positively and with certainty and confidence) "I tell you that man is a crook!"
- S: (v) tell, evidence (give evidence) "he was telling on all his former colleague"
- S: (v) distinguish, separate, differentiate, secern, secernate, severalize, severalise, tell, tell apart (mark as different) "We distinguish several kinds of maple"