Key: "S:" = Show Synset (semantic) relations, "W:" = Show Word (lexical) relations
Display options for sense: (gloss) "an example sentence"
- S: (n) root, root word, base, stem, theme, radical ((linguistics) the form of a word after all affixes are removed) "thematic vowels are part of the stem"
- S: (n) stalk, stem (a slender or elongated structure that supports a plant or fungus or a plant part or plant organ)
- S: (n) shank, stem (cylinder forming a long narrow part of something)
- S: (n) stem (the tube of a tobacco pipe)
- S: (n) bow, fore, prow, stem (front part of a vessel or aircraft) "he pointed the bow of the boat toward the finish line"
- S: (n) stem turn, stem (a turn made in skiing; the back of one ski is forced outward and the other ski is brought parallel to it)
- S: (v) stem (grow out of, have roots in, originate in) "The increase in the national debt stems from the last war"
- S: (v) stem (cause to point inward) "stem your skis"
- S: (v) stem, stanch, staunch, halt (stop the flow of a liquid) "staunch the blood flow"; "stem the tide"
- S: (v) stem (remove the stem from) "for automatic natural language processing, the words must be stemmed"