Key: "S:" = Show Synset (semantic) relations, "W:" = Show Word (lexical) relations
Display options for sense: (gloss) "an example sentence"
- S: (n) Spartan (a resident of Sparta)
- S: (adj) Spartan (of or relating to or characteristic of Sparta or its people)
- S: (adj) spartan (resolute in the face of pain or danger or adversity) "spartan courage"
- S: (adj) severe, spartan (unsparing and uncompromising in discipline or judgment) "a parent severe to the pitch of hostility"- H.G.Wells; "a hefty six-footer with a rather severe mien"; "a strict disciplinarian"; "a Spartan upbringing"
- S: (adj) ascetic, ascetical, austere, spartan (practicing great self-denial) "Be systematically ascetic...do...something for no other reason than that you would rather not do it"- William James; "a desert nomad's austere life"; "a spartan diet"; "a spartan existence"