Key: "S:" = Show Synset (semantic) relations, "W:" = Show Word (lexical) relations
Display options for sense: (gloss) "an example sentence"
- S: (n) smooth (the act of smoothing) "he gave his hair a quick smooth"
- S: (v) smooth, smoothen (make smooth or smoother, as if by rubbing) "smooth the surface of the wood"
- S: (v) polish, smooth, smoothen, shine (make (a surface) shine) "shine the silver, please"; "polish my shoes"
- S: (v) smooth, smooth out (free from obstructions) "smooth the way towards peace negotiations"
- S: (adj) smooth (having a surface free from roughness or bumps or ridges or irregularities) "smooth skin"; "a smooth tabletop"; "smooth fabric"; "a smooth road"; "water as smooth as a mirror"
- S: (adj) politic, smooth, suave, bland (smoothly agreeable and courteous with a degree of sophistication) "he was too politic to quarrel with so important a personage"; "the manager pacified the customer with a smooth apology for the error"
- S: (adj) smooth (of the margin of a leaf shape; not broken up into teeth)
- S: (adj) fluent, fluid, liquid, smooth (smooth and unconstrained in movement) "a long, smooth stride"; "the fluid motion of a cat"; "the liquid grace of a ballerina"
- S: (adj) legato, smooth ((music) without breaks between notes; smooth and connected) "a legato passage"
- S: (adj) smooth (of motion that runs or flows or proceeds without jolts or turbulence) "a smooth ride"
- S: (adj) smooth (lacking obstructions or difficulties) "the bill's path through the legislature was smooth and orderly"
- S: (adj) placid, quiet, still, tranquil, smooth, unruffled ((of a body of water) free from disturbance by heavy waves) "a ribbon of sand between the angry sea and the placid bay"; "the quiet waters of a lagoon"; "a lake of tranquil blue water reflecting a tranquil blue sky"; "a smooth channel crossing"; "scarcely a ripple on the still water"; "unruffled water"