Key: "S:" = Show Synset (semantic) relations, "W:" = Show Word (lexical) relations
Display options for sense: (gloss) "an example sentence"
- S: (n) smell, odor, odour, olfactory sensation, olfactory perception (the sensation that results when olfactory receptors in the nose are stimulated by particular chemicals in gaseous form) "she loved the smell of roses"
- S: (n) olfactory property, smell, aroma, odor, odour, scent (any property detected by the olfactory system)
- S: (n) spirit, tone, feel, feeling, flavor, flavour, look, smell (the general atmosphere of a place or situation and the effect that it has on people) "the feel of the city excited him"; "a clergyman improved the tone of the meeting"; "it had the smell of treason"
- S: (n) smell, sense of smell, olfaction, olfactory modality (the faculty that enables us to distinguish scents)
- S: (n) smell, smelling (the act of perceiving the odor of something)
- S: (v) smell (inhale the odor of; perceive by the olfactory sense)
- S: (v) smell (emit an odor) "The soup smells good"
- S: (v) smell (smell bad) "He rarely washes, and he smells"
- S: (v) smack, reek, smell (have an element suggestive (of something)) "his speeches smacked of racism"; "this passage smells of plagiarism"
- S: (v) smell, smell out, sense (become aware of not through the senses but instinctively) "I sense his hostility"; "I smell trouble"; "smell out corruption"