Key: "S:" = Show Synset (semantic) relations, "W:" = Show Word (lexical) relations
Display options for sense: (gloss) "an example sentence"
- S: (n) salute, salutation (an act of honor or courteous recognition) "a musical salute to the composer on his birthday"
- S: (n) salute, military greeting (a formal military gesture of respect)
- S: (n) salute (an act of greeting with friendly words and gestures like bowing or lifting the hat)
- S: (v) toast, drink, pledge, salute, wassail (propose a toast to) "Let us toast the birthday girl!"; "Let's drink to the New Year"
- S: (v) salute (greet in a friendly way) "I meet this men every day on my way to work and he salutes me"
- S: (v) salute (express commendation of) "I salute your courage!"
- S: (v) salute (become noticeable) "a terrible stench saluted our nostrils"
- S: (v) salute (honor with a military ceremony, as when honoring dead soldiers)
- S: (v) salute, present (recognize with a gesture prescribed by a military regulation; assume a prescribed position) "When the officers show up, the soldiers have to salute"