Key: "S:" = Show Synset (semantic) relations, "W:" = Show Word (lexical) relations
Display options for sense: (gloss) "an example sentence"
- S: (v) state, say, tell (express in words) "He said that he wanted to marry her"; "tell me what is bothering you"; "state your opinion"; "state your name"
- S: (v) allege, aver, say (report or maintain) "He alleged that he was the victim of a crime"; "He said it was too late to intervene in the war"; "The registrar says that I owe the school money"
- S: (v) suppose, say (express a supposition) "Let us say that he did not tell the truth"; "Let's say you had a lot of money--what would you do?"
- S: (v) read, say (have or contain a certain wording or form) "The passage reads as follows"; "What does the law say?"
- S: (v) order, tell, enjoin, say (give instructions to or direct somebody to do something with authority) "I said to him to go home"; "She ordered him to do the shopping"; "The mother told the child to get dressed"
- S: (v) pronounce, articulate, enounce, sound out, enunciate, say (speak, pronounce, or utter in a certain way) "She pronounces French words in a funny way"; "I cannot say `zip wire'"; "Can the child sound out this complicated word?"
- S: (v) say (communicate or express nonverbally) "What does this painting say?"; "Did his face say anything about how he felt?"
- S: (v) say (utter aloud) "She said `Hello' to everyone in the office"
- S: (v) say (state as one's opinion or judgement; declare) "I say let's forget this whole business"
- S: (v) say (recite or repeat a fixed text) "Say grace"; "She said her `Hail Mary'"
- S: (v) say (indicate) "The clock says noon"
- S: (adj) aforesaid, aforementioned, said (being the one previously mentioned or spoken of) "works of all the aforementioned authors"; "said party has denied the charges"