Key: "S:" = Show Synset (semantic) relations, "W:" = Show Word (lexical) relations
Display options for sense: (gloss) "an example sentence"
- S: (n) remainder, balance, residual, residue, residuum, rest (something left after other parts have been taken away) "there was no remainder"; "he threw away the rest"; "he took what he wanted and I got the balance"
- S: (n) rest, ease, repose, relaxation (freedom from activity (work or strain or responsibility)) "took his repose by the swimming pool"
- S: (n) respite, rest, relief, rest period (a pause for relaxation) "people actually accomplish more when they take time for short rests"
- S: (n) rest (a state of inaction) "a body will continue in a state of rest until acted upon"
- S: (n) rest, eternal rest, sleep, eternal sleep, quietus (euphemisms for death (based on an analogy between lying in a bed and in a tomb)) "she was laid to rest beside her husband"; "they had to put their family pet to sleep"
- S: (n) rest (a support on which things can be put) "the gun was steadied on a special rest"
- S: (n) rest (a musical notation indicating a silence of a specified duration)
- S: (v) rest (not move; be in a resting position)
- S: (v) rest, breathe, catch one's breath, take a breather (take a short break from one's activities in order to relax)
- S: (v) rest (give a rest to) "He rested his bad leg"; "Rest the dogs for a moment"
- S: (v) lie, rest (have a place in relation to something else) "The fate of Bosnia lies in the hands of the West"; "The responsibility rests with the Allies"
- S: (v) rest (be at rest)
- S: (v) stay, remain, rest (stay the same; remain in a certain state) "The dress remained wet after repeated attempts to dry it"; "rest assured"; "stay alone"; "He remained unmoved by her tears"; "The bad weather continued for another week"
- S: (v) rest, reside, repose (be inherent or innate in)
- S: (v) rest (put something in a resting position, as for support or steadying) "Rest your head on my shoulder"
- S: (v) perch, roost, rest (sit, as on a branch) "The birds perched high in the tree"
- S: (v) pillow, rest (rest on or as if on a pillow) "pillow your head"
- S: (v) rest (be inactive, refrain from acting) "The committee is resting over the summer"