Key: "S:" = Show Synset (semantic) relations, "W:" = Show Word (lexical) relations
Display options for sense: (gloss) "an example sentence"
- S: (v) quench, slake, allay, assuage (satisfy (thirst)) "The cold water quenched his thirst"
- S: (v) snuff out, blow out, extinguish, quench (put out, as of fires, flames, or lights) "Too big to be extinguished at once, the forest fires at best could be contained"; "quench the flames"; "snuff out the candles"
- S: (v) quench (electronics: suppress (sparking) when the current is cut off in an inductive circuit, or suppress (an oscillation or discharge) in a component or device)
- S: (v) squelch, quell, quench (suppress or crush completely) "squelch any sign of dissent"; "quench a rebellion"
- S: (v) quench (reduce the degree of (luminescence or phosphorescence) in (excited molecules or a material) by adding a suitable substance)
- S: (v) quench (cool (hot metal) by plunging into cold water or other liquid) "quench steel"