Key: "S:" = Show Synset (semantic) relations, "W:" = Show Word (lexical) relations
Display options for sense: (gloss) "an example sentence"
- S: (v) feign, sham, pretend, affect, dissemble (make believe with the intent to deceive) "He feigned that he was ill"; "He shammed a headache"
- S: (v) dissemble, pretend, act (behave unnaturally or affectedly) "She's just acting"
- S: (v) pretend (put forward a claim and assert right or possession of) "pretend the title of King"
- S: (v) guess, venture, pretend, hazard (put forward, of a guess, in spite of possible refutation) "I am guessing that the price of real estate will rise again"; "I cannot pretend to say that you are wrong"
- S: (v) make, pretend, make believe (represent fictitiously, as in a play, or pretend to be or act like) "She makes like an actress"
- S: (v) profess, pretend (state insincerely) "He professed innocence but later admitted his guilt"; "She pretended not to have known the suicide bomber"; "She pretends to be an expert on wine"
- S: (adj) make-believe, pretend (imagined as in a play) "the make-believe world of theater"; "play money"; "dangling their legs in the water to catch pretend fish"