Key: "S:" = Show Synset (semantic) relations, "W:" = Show Word (lexical) relations
Display options for sense: (gloss) "an example sentence"
- S: (n) name (a language unit by which a person or thing is known) "his name really is George Washington"; "those are two names for the same thing"
- S: (n) name (a person's reputation) "he wanted to protect his good name"
- S: (n) name, gens (family based on male descent) "he had no sons and there was no one to carry on his name"
- S: (n) name, figure, public figure (a well-known or notable person) "they studied all the great names in the history of France"; "she is an important figure in modern music"
- S: (n) name (by the sanction or authority of) "halt in the name of the law"
- S: (n) name, epithet (a defamatory or abusive word or phrase)
- S: (v) name, call, know as, be known as (assign a specified (usually proper) proper name to) "They named their son David"; "The new school was named after the famous Civil Rights leader"
- S: (v) name, identify (give the name or identifying characteristics of; refer to by name or some other identifying characteristic property) "Many senators were named in connection with the scandal"; "The almanac identifies the auspicious months"
- S: (v) name, nominate, make (charge with a function; charge to be) "She was named Head of the Committee"; "She was made president of the club"
- S: (v) appoint, name, nominate, constitute (create and charge with a task or function) "nominate a committee"
- S: (v) name (mention and identify by name) "name your accomplices!"
- S: (v) mention, advert, bring up, cite, name, refer (make reference to) "His name was mentioned in connection with the invention"
- S: (v) identify, discover, key, key out, distinguish, describe, name (identify as in botany or biology, for example)
- S: (v) list, name (give or make a list of; name individually; give the names of) "List the states west of the Mississippi"
- S: (v) diagnose, name (determine or distinguish the nature of a problem or an illness through a diagnostic analysis)