Key: "S:" = Show Synset (semantic) relations, "W:" = Show Word (lexical) relations
Display options for sense: (gloss) "an example sentence"
- S: (n) hell, hell on earth, hellhole, snake pit, the pits, inferno (any place of pain and turmoil) "the hell of battle"; "the inferno of the engine room"; "when you're alone Christmas is the pits"
- S: (n) hell, blaze (a cause of difficulty and suffering) "war is hell"; "go to blazes"
- S: (n) Hell, perdition, Inferno, infernal region, nether region, pit ((Christianity) the abode of Satan and the forces of evil; where sinners suffer eternal punishment) "Hurl'd headlong...To bottomless perdition, there to dwell"- John Milton; "a demon from the depths of the pit"; "Hell is paved with good intentions"-Dr. Johnson
- S: (n) Hell, Hades, infernal region, netherworld, Scheol, underworld ((religion) the world of the dead) "No one goes to Hades with all his immense wealth"-Theognis
- S: (n) hell, blaze (noisy and unrestrained mischief) "raising blazes"