Key: "S:" = Show Synset (semantic) relations, "W:" = Show Word (lexical) relations
Display options for sense: (gloss) "an example sentence"
- S: (n) arrest, check, halt, hitch, stay, stop, stoppage (the state of inactivity following an interruption) "the negotiations were in arrest"; "held them in check"; "during the halt he got some lunch"; "the momentary stay enabled him to escape the blow"; "he spent the entire stop in his seat"
- S: (n) stop, halt (the event of something ending) "it came to a stop at the bottom of the hill"
- S: (n) freeze, halt (an interruption or temporary suspension of progress or movement) "a halt in the arms race"; "a nuclear freeze"
- S: (v) halt, hold, arrest (cause to stop) "Halt the engines"; "Arrest the progress"; "halt the presses"
- S: (v) stop, halt (come to a halt, stop moving) "the car stopped"; "She stopped in front of a store window"
- S: (v) stop, halt, block, kibosh (stop from happening or developing) "Block his election"; "Halt the process"
- S: (v) stem, stanch, staunch, halt (stop the flow of a liquid) "staunch the blood flow"; "stem the tide"