Key: "S:" = Show Synset (semantic) relations, "W:" = Show Word (lexical) relations
Display options for sense: (gloss) "an example sentence"
- S: (n) former (the first of two or the first mentioned of two) "Tom and Dick were both heroes but only the former is remembered today"
- S: (adj) former (referring to the first of two things or persons mentioned (or the earlier one or ones of several)) "the novel was made into a film in 1943 and again in 1967; I prefer the former version to the latter one"
- S: (adj) erstwhile, former, old, onetime, one-time, quondam, sometime (belonging to some prior time) "erstwhile friend"; "our former glory"; "the once capital of the state"; "her quondam lover"
- S: (adj) former, late, previous ((used especially of persons) of the immediate past) "the former president"; "our late President is still very active"; "the previous occupant of the White House"
- S: (adj) early, former, other (belonging to the distant past) "the early inhabitants of Europe"; "former generations"; "in other times"