Key: "S:" = Show Synset (semantic) relations, "W:" = Show Word (lexical) relations
Display options for sense: (gloss) "an example sentence"
- S: (v) arouse, elicit, enkindle, kindle, evoke, fire, raise, provoke (call forth (emotions, feelings, and responses)) "arouse pity"; "raise a smile"; "evoke sympathy"
- S: (v) provoke, evoke, call forth, kick up (evoke or provoke to appear or occur) "Her behavior provoked a quarrel between the couple"
- S: (v) educe, evoke, elicit, extract, draw out (deduce (a principle) or construe (a meaning)) "We drew out some interesting linguistic data from the native informant"
- S: (v) raise, conjure, conjure up, invoke, evoke, stir, call down, arouse, bring up, put forward, call forth (summon into action or bring into existence, often as if by magic) "raise the specter of unemployment"; "he conjured wild birds in the air"; "call down the spirits from the mountain"
- S: (v) suggest, evoke, paint a picture (call to mind) "this remark evoked sadness"