Key: "S:" = Show Synset (semantic) relations, "W:" = Show Word (lexical) relations
Display options for sense: (gloss) "an example sentence"
- S: (n) background (a person's social heritage: previous experience or training) "he is a lawyer with a sports background"
- S: (n) background, ground (the part of a scene (or picture) that lies behind objects in the foreground) "he posed her against a background of rolling hills"
- S: (n) background, background knowledge (information that is essential to understanding a situation or problem) "the embassy filled him in on the background of the incident"
- S: (n) background, background signal (extraneous signals that can be confused with the phenomenon to be observed or measured) "they got a bad connection and could hardly hear one another over the background signals"
- S: (n) background (relatively unimportant or inconspicuous accompanying situation) "when the rain came he could hear the sound of thunder in the background"
- S: (n) setting, background, scope (the state of the environment in which a situation exists) "you can't do that in a university setting"
- S: (n) background, desktop, screen background ((computer science) the area of the screen in graphical user interfaces against which icons and windows appear)
- S: (n) backdrop, background, backcloth (scenery hung at back of stage)
- S: (v) background, play down, downplay (understate the importance or quality of) "he played down his royal ancestry"