Key: "S:" = Show Synset (semantic) relations, "W:" = Show Word (lexical) relations
Display options for sense: (gloss) "an example sentence"
- S: (n) writing, authorship, composition, penning (the act of creating written works) "writing was a form of therapy for him"; "it was a matter of disputed authorship"
- S: (n) writing, written material, piece of writing (the work of a writer; anything expressed in letters of the alphabet (especially when considered from the point of view of style and effect)) "the writing in her novels is excellent"; "that editorial was a fine piece of writing"
- S: (n) writing ((usually plural) the collected work of an author) "the idea occurs with increasing frequency in Hemingway's writings"
- S: (n) writing (letters or symbols that are written or imprinted on a surface to represent the sounds or words of a language) "he turned the paper over so the writing wouldn't show"; "the doctor's writing was illegible"
- S: (n) writing, committal to writing (the activity of putting something in written form) "she did the thinking while he did the writing"
- S: (v) write, compose, pen, indite (produce a literary work) "She composed a poem"; "He wrote four novels"
- S: (v) write (communicate or express by writing) "He wrote about his great love for his wife"
- S: (v) write, drop a line (communicate (with) in writing) "Write her soon, please!"
- S: (v) compose, write (write music) "Beethoven composed nine symphonies"
- S: (v) write (mark or trace on a surface) "The artist wrote Chinese characters on a big piece of white paper"; "Russian is written with the Cyrillic alphabet"
- S: (v) write, save (record data on a computer) "boot-up instructions are written on the hard disk"
- S: (v) spell, write (write or name the letters that comprise the conventionally accepted form of (a word or part of a word)) "He spelled the word wrong in this letter"
- S: (v) write (create code, write a computer program) "She writes code faster than anybody else"