Key: "S:" = Show Synset (semantic) relations, "W:" = Show Word (lexical) relations
Display options for sense: (gloss) "an example sentence"
- S: (v) withdraw, retreat, pull away, draw back, recede, pull back, retire, move back (pull back or move away or backward) "The enemy withdrew"; "The limo pulled away from the curb"
- S: (v) retire, withdraw (withdraw from active participation) "He retired from chess"
- S: (v) disengage, withdraw (release from something that holds fast, connects, or entangles) "I want to disengage myself from his influence"; "disengage the gears"
- S: (v) recall, call in, call back, withdraw (cause to be returned) "recall the defective auto tires"; "The manufacturer tried to call back the spoilt yoghurt"
- S: (v) swallow, take back, unsay, withdraw (take back what one has said) "He swallowed his words"
- S: (v) seclude, sequester, sequestrate, withdraw (keep away from others) "He sequestered himself in his study to write a book"
- S: (v) adjourn, withdraw, retire (break from a meeting or gathering) "We adjourned for lunch"; "The men retired to the library"
- S: (v) bow out, withdraw (retire gracefully) "He bowed out when he realized he could no longer handle the demands of the chairmanship"
- S: (v) withdraw, draw, take out, draw off (remove (a commodity) from (a supply source)) "She drew $2,000 from the account"; "The doctors drew medical supplies from the hospital's emergency bank"
- S: (v) retire, withdraw (lose interest) "he retired from life when his wife died"
- S: (v) retreat, pull back, back out, back away, crawfish, crawfish out, pull in one's horns, withdraw (make a retreat from an earlier commitment or activity) "We'll have to crawfish out from meeting with him"; "He backed out of his earlier promise"; "The aggressive investment company pulled in its horns"
- S: (v) remove, take, take away, withdraw (remove something concrete, as by lifting, pushing, or taking off, or remove something abstract) "remove a threat"; "remove a wrapper"; "Remove the dirty dishes from the table"; "take the gun from your pocket"; "This machine withdraws heat from the environment"