Key: "S:" = Show Synset (semantic) relations, "W:" = Show Word (lexical) relations
Display options for sense: (gloss) "an example sentence"
- S: (n) use, usage, utilization, utilisation, employment, exercise (the act of using) "he warned against the use of narcotic drugs"; "skilled in the utilization of computers"
- S: (n) function, purpose, role, use (what something is used for) "the function of an auger is to bore holes"; "ballet is beautiful but what use is it?"
- S: (n) use (a particular service) "he put his knowledge to good use"; "patrons have their uses"
- S: (n) consumption, economic consumption, usance, use, use of goods and services ((economics) the utilization of economic goods to satisfy needs or in manufacturing) "the consumption of energy has increased steadily"
- S: (n) habit, use ((psychology) an automatic pattern of behavior in reaction to a specific situation; may be inherited or acquired through frequent repetition) "owls have nocturnal habits"; "she had a habit twirling the ends of her hair"; "long use had hardened him to it"
- S: (n) manipulation, use (exerting shrewd or devious influence especially for one's own advantage) "his manipulation of his friends was scandalous"
- S: (n) use, enjoyment ((law) the exercise of the legal right to enjoy the benefits of owning property) "we were given the use of his boat"
- S: (v) use, utilize, utilise, apply, employ (put into service; make work or employ for a particular purpose or for its inherent or natural purpose) "use your head!"; "we only use Spanish at home"; "I can't use this tool"; "Apply a magnetic field here"; "This thinking was applied to many projects"; "How do you utilize this tool?"; "I apply this rule to get good results"; "use the plastic bags to store the food"; "He doesn't know how to use a computer"
- S: (v) use, habituate (take or consume (regularly or habitually)) "She uses drugs rarely"
- S: (v) use, expend (use up, consume fully) "The legislature expended its time on school questions"
- S: (v) use (seek or achieve an end by using to one's advantage) "She uses her influential friends to get jobs"; "The president's wife used her good connections"
- S: (v) practice, apply, use (avail oneself to) "apply a principle"; "practice a religion"; "use care when going down the stairs"; "use your common sense"; "practice non-violent resistance"
- S: (v) use (habitually do something or be in a certan state or place (use only in the past tense)) "She used to call her mother every week but now she calls only occasionally"; "I used to get sick when I ate in that dining hall"; "They used to vacation in the Bahamas"; "she used to be his best friend and now they are enemies"