Key: "S:" = Show Synset (semantic) relations, "W:" = Show Word (lexical) relations
Display options for sense: (gloss) "an example sentence"
- S: (n) understanding, apprehension, discernment, savvy (the cognitive condition of someone who understands) "he has virtually no understanding of social cause and effect"
- S: (n) agreement, understanding (the statement (oral or written) of an exchange of promises) "they had an agreement that they would not interfere in each other's business"; "there was an understanding between management and the workers"
- S: (n) sympathy, understanding (an inclination to support or be loyal to or to agree with an opinion) "his sympathies were always with the underdog"; "I knew I could count on his understanding"
- S: (n) reason, understanding, intellect (the capacity for rational thought or inference or discrimination) "we are told that man is endowed with reason and capable of distinguishing good from evil"
- S: (v) understand (know and comprehend the nature or meaning of) "She did not understand her husband"; "I understand what she means"
- S: (v) understand, realize, realise, see (perceive (an idea or situation) mentally) "Now I see!"; "I just can't see your point"; "Does she realize how important this decision is?"; "I don't understand the idea"
- S: (v) understand, read, interpret, translate (make sense of a language) "She understands French"; "Can you read Greek?"
- S: (v) understand, infer (believe to be the case) "I understand you have no previous experience?"
- S: (v) sympathize, sympathise, empathize, empathise, understand (be understanding of) "You don't need to explain--I understand!"
- S: (adj) understanding (characterized by understanding based on comprehension and discernment and empathy) "an understanding friend"