Key: "S:" = Show Synset (semantic) relations, "W:" = Show Word (lexical) relations
Display options for sense: (gloss) "an example sentence"
- S: (n) true (proper alignment; the property possessed by something that is in correct or proper alignment) "out of true"
- S: (v) true, true up (make level, square, balanced, or concentric) "true up the cylinder of an engine"
- S: (adj) true (consistent with fact or reality; not false) "the story is true"; "it is undesirable to believe a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true"- B. Russell; "the true meaning of the statement"
- S: (adj) true, dead on target (accurately placed or thrown) "his aim was true"; "he was dead on target"
- S: (adj) true (devoted (sometimes fanatically) to a cause or concept or truth) "true believers bonded together against all who disagreed with them"
- S: (adj) truthful, true (expressing or given to expressing the truth) "a true statement"; "gave truthful testimony"; "a truthful person"
- S: (adj) true (conforming to definitive criteria) "the horseshoe crab is not a true crab"; "Pythagoras was the first true mathematician"
- S: (adj) dependable, honest, reliable, true (worthy of being depended on) "a dependable worker"; "an honest working stiff"; "a reliable source of information"; "he was true to his word"; "I would be true for there are those who trust me"
- S: (adj) genuine, true, unfeigned (not pretended; sincerely felt or expressed) "genuine emotion"; "her interest in people was unfeigned"; "true grief"
- S: (adj) true (rightly so called) "true courage"; "a spirit which true men have always admired"; "a true friend"
- S: (adj) true (determined with reference to the earth's axis rather than the magnetic poles) "true north is geographic north"
- S: (adj) true, lawful, rightful (having a legally established claim) "the legitimate heir"; "the true and lawful king"
- S: (adj) on-key, true (in tune; accurate in pitch) "a true note"
- S: (adj) true, straight (accurately fitted; level) "the window frame isn't quite true"