Key: "S:" = Show Synset (semantic) relations, "W:" = Show Word (lexical) relations
Display options for sense: (gloss) "an example sentence"
- S: (n) tone, tone of voice (the quality of a person's voice) "he began in a conversational tone"; "he spoke in a nervous tone of voice"
- S: (n) tone ((linguistics) a pitch or change in pitch of the voice that serves to distinguish words in tonal languages) "the Beijing dialect uses four tones"
- S: (n) timbre, timber, quality, tone ((music) the distinctive property of a complex sound (a voice or noise or musical sound)) "the timbre of her soprano was rich and lovely"; "the muffled tones of the broken bell summoned them to meet"
- S: (n) spirit, tone, feel, feeling, flavor, flavour, look, smell (the general atmosphere of a place or situation and the effect that it has on people) "the feel of the city excited him"; "a clergyman improved the tone of the meeting"; "it had the smell of treason"
- S: (n) shade, tint, tincture, tone (a quality of a given color that differs slightly from another color) "after several trials he mixed the shade of pink that she wanted"
- S: (n) note, musical note, tone (a notation representing the pitch and duration of a musical sound) "the singer held the note too long"
- S: (n) tone, pure tone (a steady sound without overtones) "they tested his hearing with pure tones of different frequencies"
- S: (n) tonicity, tonus, tone (the elastic tension of living muscles, arteries, etc. that facilitate response to stimuli) "the doctor tested my tonicity"
- S: (n) tone, whole tone, step, whole step (a musical interval of two semitones)
- S: (n) tone (the quality of something (an act or a piece of writing) that reveals the attitudes and presuppositions of the author) "the general tone of articles appearing in the newspapers is that the government should withdraw"; "from the tone of her behavior I gathered that I had outstayed my welcome"
- S: (v) tone, chant, intone (utter monotonously and repetitively and rhythmically) "The students chanted the same slogan over and over again"
- S: (v) tone, inflect, modulate (vary the pitch of one's speech)
- S: (v) tone (change the color or tone of) "tone a negative"
- S: (v) tone (change to a color image) "tone a photographic image"
- S: (v) tone, tone up, strengthen (give a healthy elasticity to) "Let's tone our muscles"