Key: "S:" = Show Synset (semantic) relations, "W:" = Show Word (lexical) relations
Display options for sense: (gloss) "an example sentence"
- S: (v) repress, quash, keep down, subdue, subjugate, reduce (put down by force or intimidation) "The government quashes any attempt of an uprising"; "China keeps down her dissidents very efficiently"; "The rich landowners subjugated the peasants working the land"
- S: (v) suppress, stamp down, subdue, conquer (bring under control by force or authority) "suppress a nascent uprising"; "stamp down on littering"; "conquer one's desires"
- S: (v) mortify, subdue, crucify (hold within limits and control) "subdue one's appetites"; "mortify the flesh"
- S: (v) overcome, get over, subdue, surmount, master (get on top of; deal with successfully) "He overcame his shyness"
- S: (v) subordinate, subdue (make subordinate, dependent, or subservient) "Our wishes have to be subordinated to that of our ruler"
- S: (v) tame, chasten, subdue (correct by punishment or discipline)