Key: "S:" = Show Synset (semantic) relations, "W:" = Show Word (lexical) relations
Display options for sense: (gloss) "an example sentence"
- S: (n) survey, study (a detailed critical inspection)
- S: (n) study, work (applying the mind to learning and understanding a subject (especially by reading)) "mastering a second language requires a lot of work"; "no schools offer graduate study in interior design"
- S: (n) report, study, written report (a written document describing the findings of some individual or group) "this accords with the recent study by Hill and Dale"
- S: (n) study (a state of deep mental absorption) "she is in a deep study"
- S: (n) study (a room used for reading and writing and studying) "he knocked lightly on the closed door of the study"
- S: (n) discipline, subject, subject area, subject field, field, field of study, study, bailiwick (a branch of knowledge) "in what discipline is his doctorate?"; "teachers should be well trained in their subject"; "anthropology is the study of human beings"
- S: (n) sketch, study (preliminary drawing for later elaboration) "he made several studies before starting to paint"
- S: (n) cogitation, study (attentive consideration and meditation) "after much cogitation he rejected the offer"
- S: (n) study (someone who memorizes quickly and easily (as the lines for a part in a play)) "he is a quick study"
- S: (n) study (a composition intended to develop one aspect of the performer's technique) "a study in spiccato bowing"
- S: (v) analyze, analyse, study, examine, canvass (consider in detail and subject to an analysis in order to discover essential features or meaning) "analyze a sonnet by Shakespeare"; "analyze the evidence in a criminal trial"; "analyze your real motives"
- S: (v) study (be a student; follow a course of study; be enrolled at an institute of learning)
- S: (v) study, consider (give careful consideration to) "consider the possibility of moving"
- S: (v) learn, study, read, take (be a student of a certain subject) "She is reading for the bar exam"
- S: (v) study, hit the books (learn by reading books) "He is studying geology in his room"; "I have an exam next week; I must hit the books now"
- S: (v) study, meditate, contemplate (think intently and at length, as for spiritual purposes) "He is meditating in his study"