Key: "S:" = Show Synset (semantic) relations, "W:" = Show Word (lexical) relations
Display options for sense: (gloss) "an example sentence"
- S: (n) stress, emphasis, accent (the relative prominence of a syllable or musical note (especially with regard to stress or pitch)) "he put the stress on the wrong syllable"
- S: (n) tension, tenseness, stress ((psychology) a state of mental or emotional strain or suspense) "he suffered from fatigue and emotional tension"; "stress is a vasoconstrictor"
- S: (n) stress, focus (special emphasis attached to something) "the stress was more on accuracy than on speed"
- S: (n) stress, strain (difficulty that causes worry or emotional tension) "she endured the stresses and strains of life"; "he presided over the economy during the period of the greatest stress and danger"- R.J.Samuelson
- S: (n) stress ((physics) force that produces strain on a physical body) "the intensity of stress is expressed in units of force divided by units of area"
- S: (v) stress, emphasize, emphasise, punctuate, accent, accentuate (to stress, single out as important) "Dr. Jones emphasizes exercise in addition to a change in diet"
- S: (v) stress, accent, accentuate (put stress on; utter with an accent) "In Farsi, you accent the last syllable of each word"
- S: (v) try, strain, stress (test the limits of) "You are trying my patience!"