Key: "S:" = Show Synset (semantic) relations, "W:" = Show Word (lexical) relations
Display options for sense: (gloss) "an example sentence"
- S: (n) square, foursquare ((geometry) a plane rectangle with four equal sides and four right angles; a four-sided regular polygon) "you can compute the area of a square if you know the length of its sides"
- S: (n) square, second power (the product of two equal terms) "nine is the second power of three"; "gravity is inversely proportional to the square of the distance"
- S: (n) public square, square (an open area at the meeting of two or more streets)
- S: (n) square (something approximating the shape of a square)
- S: (n) square, lame (someone who doesn't understand what is going on)
- S: (n) square, square toes (a formal and conservative person with old-fashioned views)
- S: (n) square (any artifact having a shape similar to a plane geometric figure with four equal sides and four right angles) "a checkerboard has 64 squares"
- S: (n) square (a hand tool consisting of two straight arms at right angles; used to construct or test right angles) "the carpenter who built this room must have lost his square"
- S: (v) square, square up (make square) "Square the circle"; "square the wood with a file"
- S: (v) square (raise to the second power)
- S: (v) square (cause to match, as of ideas or acts)
- S: (v) square (position so as to be square) "He squared his shoulders"
- S: (v) square (be compatible with) "one idea squares with another"
- S: (v) square (pay someone and settle a debt) "I squared with him"
- S: (v) feather, square (turn the paddle; in canoeing)
- S: (v) feather, square (turn the oar, while rowing)
- S: (adj) square (having four equal sides and four right angles or forming a right angle) "a square peg in a round hole"; "a square corner"
- S: (adj) straight, square (characterized by honesty and fairness) "straight dealing"; "a square deal"
- S: (adj) hearty, satisfying, solid, square, substantial (providing abundant nourishment) "a hearty meal"; "good solid food"; "ate a substantial breakfast"; "four square meals a day"
- S: (adj) square (leaving no balance) "my account with you is now all square"
- S: (adj) square, straightforward, straight (without evasion or compromise) "a square contradiction"; "he is not being as straightforward as it appears"
- S: (adj) square, straight (rigidly conventional or old-fashioned)
- S: (adv) squarely, square (in a straight direct way) "looked him squarely in the eye"; "ran square into me"
- S: (adv) squarely, square (in a square shape) "a squarely cut piece of paper"; "folded the sheet of paper square"
- S: (adv) squarely, square (firmly and solidly) "hit the ball squarely"; "the bat met the ball squarely"; "planted his great bulk square before his enemy"