Key: "S:" = Show Synset (semantic) relations, "W:" = Show Word (lexical) relations
Display options for sense: (gloss) "an example sentence"
- S: (n) spare part, spare (an extra component of a machine or other apparatus)
- S: (n) fifth wheel, spare (an extra car wheel and tire for a four-wheel vehicle)
- S: (n) spare (a score in tenpins; knocking down all ten after rolling two balls)
- S: (v) spare, save (refrain from harming)
- S: (v) spare (save or relieve from an experience or action) "I'll spare you from having to apologize formally"
- S: (v) spare, give up, part with, dispense with (give up what is not strictly needed) "he asked if they could spare one of their horses to speed his journey"
- S: (v) spare (use frugally or carefully)
- S: (adj) spare, trim (thin and fit) "the spare figure of a marathon runner"; "a body kept trim by exercise"
- S: (adj) excess, extra, redundant, spare, supererogatory, superfluous, supernumerary, surplus (more than is needed, desired, or required) "trying to lose excess weight"; "found some extra change lying on the dresser"; "yet another book on heraldry might be thought redundant"; "skills made redundant by technological advance"; "sleeping in the spare room"; "supernumerary ornamentation"; "it was supererogatory of her to gloat"; "delete superfluous (or unnecessary) words"; "extra ribs as well as other supernumerary internal parts"; "surplus cheese distributed to the needy"
- S: (adj) spare, free (not taken up by scheduled activities) "a free hour between classes"; "spare time on my hands"
- S: (adj) spare (kept in reserve especially for emergency use) "a reserve supply of food"; "a spare tire"; "spare parts"
- S: (adj) bare, scanty, spare (lacking in magnitude or quantity) "a bare livelihood"; "a scanty harvest"; "a spare diet"
- S: (adj) plain, bare, spare, unembellished, unornamented (lacking embellishment or ornamentation) "a plain hair style"; "unembellished white walls"; "functional architecture featuring stark unornamented concrete"