Key: "S:" = Show Synset (semantic) relations, "W:" = Show Word (lexical) relations
Display options for sense: (gloss) "an example sentence"
- S: (v) smother, surround (envelop completely) "smother the meat in gravy"
- S: (v) smother, asphyxiate, suffocate (deprive of oxygen and prevent from breathing) "Othello smothered Desdemona with a pillow"; "The child suffocated herself with a plastic bag that the parents had left on the floor"
- S: (v) smother, stifle, strangle, muffle, repress (suppress in order to conceal or hide) "smother a yawn"; "muffle one's anger"; "strangle a laugh"; "repress a cry of fear"
- S: (v) smother (form an impenetrable cover over) "the butter cream smothered the cake"
- S: (v) smother, put out (deprive of the oxygen necessary for combustion) "smother fires"