Key: "S:" = Show Synset (semantic) relations, "W:" = Show Word (lexical) relations
Display options for sense: (gloss) "an example sentence"
- S: (v) shorten (make shorter than originally intended; reduce or retrench in length or duration) "He shortened his trip due to illness"
- S: (v) abridge, foreshorten, abbreviate, shorten, cut, contract, reduce (reduce in scope while retaining essential elements) "The manuscript must be shortened"
- S: (v) shorten (make short or shorter) "shorten the skirt"; "shorten the rope by a few inches"
- S: (v) shorten (become short or shorter) "In winter, the days shorten"
- S: (v) bowdlerize, bowdlerise, expurgate, castrate, shorten (edit by omitting or modifying parts considered indelicate) "bowdlerize a novel"