Key: "S:" = Show Synset (semantic) relations, "W:" = Show Word (lexical) relations
Display options for sense: (gloss) "an example sentence"
- S: (n) section, subdivision (a self-contained part of a larger composition (written or musical)) "he always turns first to the business section"; "the history of this work is discussed in the next section"
- S: (n) section (a very thin slice (of tissue or mineral or other substance) for examination under a microscope) "sections from the left ventricle showed diseased tissue"
- S: (n) section (a distinct region or subdivision of a territorial or political area or community or group of people) "no section of the nation is more ardent than the South"; "there are three synagogues in the Jewish section"
- S: (n) section, segment (one of several parts or pieces that fit with others to constitute a whole object) "a section of a fishing rod"; "metal sections were used below ground"; "finished the final segment of the road"
- S: (n) section (a small team of policemen working as part of a police platoon)
- S: (n) part, section, division (one of the portions into which something is regarded as divided and which together constitute a whole) "the written part of the exam"; "the finance section of the company"; "the BBC's engineering division"
- S: (n) section (a land unit equal to 1 square mile)
- S: (n) section, plane section ((geometry) the area created by a plane cutting through a solid)
- S: (n) section, discussion section (a small class of students who are part of a larger course but are taught separately) "a graduate student taught sections for the professor's lecture course"
- S: (n) section (a division of an orchestra containing all instruments of the same class)
- S: (n) section (a small army unit usually having a special function)
- S: (n) department, section (a specialized division of a large organization) "you'll find it in the hardware department"; "she got a job in the historical section of the Treasury"
- S: (n) section (a segment of a citrus fruit) "he ate a section of the orange"
- S: (n) incision, section, surgical incision (the cutting of or into body tissues or organs (especially by a surgeon as part of an operation))
- S: (v) segment, section (divide into segments) "segment an orange"; "segment a compound word"