Key: "S:" = Show Synset (semantic) relations, "W:" = Show Word (lexical) relations
Display options for sense: (gloss) "an example sentence"
- S: (v) rub, fray, fret, chafe, scratch (cause friction) "my sweater scratches"
- S: (v) scratch, scrape, scratch up (cut the surface of; wear away the surface of)
- S: (v) rub, scratch, itch (scrape or rub as if to relieve itching) "Don't scratch your insect bites!"
- S: (v) cancel, call off, scratch, scrub (postpone indefinitely or annul something that was scheduled) "Call off the engagement"; "cancel the dinner party"; "we had to scrub our vacation plans"; "scratch that meeting--the chair is ill"
- S: (v) strike, scratch, expunge, excise (remove by erasing or crossing out or as if by drawing a line) "Please strike this remark from the record"; "scratch that remark"
- S: (v) scrape, scrape up, scratch, come up (gather (money or other resources) together over time) "She had scraped together enough money for college"; "they scratched a meager living"
- S: (v) scratch, engrave, grave, inscribe (carve, cut, or etch into a material or surface) "engrave a pen"; "engraved the trophy cup with the winner's name"; "the lovers scratched their names into the bark of the tree"