Key: "S:" = Show Synset (semantic) relations, "W:" = Show Word (lexical) relations
Display options for sense: (gloss) "an example sentence"
- S: (n) forfeit, forfeiture, sacrifice (the act of losing or surrendering something as a penalty for a mistake or fault or failure to perform etc.)
- S: (n) sacrifice (personnel that are sacrificed (e.g., surrendered or lost in order to gain an objective))
- S: (n) sacrifice (a loss entailed by giving up or selling something at less than its value) "he had to sell his car at a considerable sacrifice"
- S: (n) sacrifice, ritual killing (the act of killing (an animal or person) in order to propitiate a deity)
- S: (n) sacrifice ((baseball) an out that advances the base runners)
- S: (v) sacrifice, give (endure the loss of) "He gave his life for his children"; "I gave two sons to the war"
- S: (v) sacrifice (kill or destroy) "The animals were sacrificed after the experiment"; "The general had to sacrifice several soldiers to save the regiment"
- S: (v) sacrifice (sell at a loss)
- S: (v) sacrifice (make a sacrifice of; in religious rituals)