Key: "S:" = Show Synset (semantic) relations, "W:" = Show Word (lexical) relations
Display options for sense: (gloss) "an example sentence"
- S: (v) repress, quash, keep down, subdue, subjugate, reduce (put down by force or intimidation) "The government quashes any attempt of an uprising"; "China keeps down her dissidents very efficiently"; "The rich landowners subjugated the peasants working the land"
- S: (v) repress (impede or hinder the natural development or self-expression of)
- S: (v) smother, stifle, strangle, muffle, repress (suppress in order to conceal or hide) "smother a yawn"; "muffle one's anger"; "strangle a laugh"; "repress a cry of fear"
- S: (v) suppress, repress (put out of one's consciousness)
- S: (v) repress (block the action of) "the process of repressing gene transcription";