Key: "S:" = Show Synset (semantic) relations, "W:" = Show Word (lexical) relations
Display options for sense: (gloss) "an example sentence"
- S: (v) apologize, apologise, excuse, rationalize, rationalise (defend, explain, clear away, or make excuses for by reasoning) "rationalize the child's seemingly crazy behavior"; "he rationalized his lack of success"
- S: (v) cut, prune, rationalize, rationalise (weed out unwanted or unnecessary things) "We had to lose weight, so we cut the sugar from our diet"
- S: (v) rationalize, rationalise (structure and run according to rational or scientific principles in order to achieve desired results) "We rationalized the factory's production and raised profits"
- S: (v) rationalize, rationalise (think rationally; employ logic or reason) "When one wonders why one is doing certain things, one should rationalize"
- S: (v) rationalize, rationalise (remove irrational quantities from) "This function can be rationalized"