Key: "S:" = Show Synset (semantic) relations, "W:" = Show Word (lexical) relations
Display options for sense: (gloss) "an example sentence"
- S: (n) rank (a row or line of people (especially soldiers or police) standing abreast of one another) "the entrance was guarded by ranks of policemen"
- S: (n) rank (relative status) "his salary was determined by his rank and seniority"
- S: (n) rank and file, rank (the ordinary members of an organization (such as the enlisted soldiers of an army)) "the strike was supported by the union rank and file"; "he rose from the ranks to become a colonel"
- S: (n) social station, social status, social rank, rank (position in a social hierarchy) "the British are more aware of social status than Americans are"
- S: (n) membership, rank (the body of members of an organization or group) "they polled their membership"; "they found dissension in their own ranks"; "he joined the ranks of the unemployed"
- S: (v) rank (take or have a position relative to others) "This painting ranks among the best in the Western World"
- S: (v) rate, rank, range, order, grade, place (assign a rank or rating to) "how would you rank these students?"; "The restaurant is rated highly in the food guide"
- S: (v) rank, outrank (take precedence or surpass others in rank)
- S: (adj) rank (very fertile; producing profuse growth) "rank earth"
- S: (adj) rank (very offensive in smell or taste) "a rank cigar"
- S: (adj) crying, egregious, flagrant, glaring, gross, rank (conspicuously and outrageously bad or reprehensible) "a crying shame"; "an egregious lie"; "flagrant violation of human rights"; "a glaring error"; "gross ineptitude"; "gross injustice"; "rank treachery"
- S: (adj) absolute, downright, out-and-out, rank, right-down, sheer (complete and without restriction or qualification; sometimes used informally as intensifiers) "absolute freedom"; "an absolute dimwit"; "a downright lie"; "out-and-out mayhem"; "an out-and-out lie"; "a rank outsider"; "many right-down vices"; "got the job through sheer persistence"; "sheer stupidity"
- S: (adj) rank (growing profusely) "rank jungle vegetation"