Key: "S:" = Show Synset (semantic) relations, "W:" = Show Word (lexical) relations
Display options for sense: (gloss) "an example sentence"
- S: (n) protease, peptidase, proteinase, proteolytic enzyme (any enzyme that catalyzes the splitting of proteins into smaller peptide fractions and amino acids by a process known as proteolysis)
- direct hyponym / full hyponym
- direct hypernym / inherited hypernym / sister term
- S: (n) enzyme (any of several complex proteins that are produced by cells and act as catalysts in specific biochemical reactions)
- S: (n) protein (any of a large group of nitrogenous organic compounds that are essential constituents of living cells; consist of polymers of amino acids; essential in the diet of animals for growth and for repair of tissues; can be obtained from meat and eggs and milk and legumes) "a diet high in protein"
- S: (n) macromolecule, supermolecule (any very large complex molecule; found only in plants and animals)
- S: (n) molecule ((physics and chemistry) the simplest structural unit of an element or compound)
- S: (n) unit, building block (a single undivided natural thing occurring in the composition of something else) "units of nucleic acids"
- S: (n) thing (a separate and self-contained entity)
- S: (n) physical entity (an entity that has physical existence)
- S: (n) entity (that which is perceived or known or inferred to have its own distinct existence (living or nonliving))
- S: (n) organic compound (any compound of carbon and another element or a radical)
- S: (n) compound, chemical compound ((chemistry) a substance formed by chemical union of two or more elements or ingredients in definite proportion by weight)
- S: (n) chemical, chemical substance (material produced by or used in a reaction involving changes in atoms or molecules)
- S: (n) material, stuff (the tangible substance that goes into the makeup of a physical object) "coal is a hard black material"; "wheat is the stuff they use to make bread"
- S: (n) substance (the real physical matter of which a person or thing consists) "DNA is the substance of our genes"
- S: (n) matter (that which has mass and occupies space) "physicists study both the nature of matter and the forces which govern it"
- S: (n) part, portion, component part, component, constituent (something determined in relation to something that includes it) "he wanted to feel a part of something bigger than himself"; "I read a portion of the manuscript"; "the smaller component is hard to reach"; "the animal constituent of plankton"
- S: (n) catalyst, accelerator ((chemistry) a substance that initiates or accelerates a chemical reaction without itself being affected)
- S: (n) activator ((biology) any agency bringing about activation; a molecule that increases the activity of an enzyme or a protein that increases the production of a gene product in DNA transcription)