Key: "S:" = Show Synset (semantic) relations, "W:" = Show Word (lexical) relations
Display options for sense: (gloss) "an example sentence"
- S: (n) promise (a verbal commitment by one person to another agreeing to do (or not to do) something in the future)
- S: (n) promise, hope (grounds for feeling hopeful about the future) "there is little or no promise that he will recover"
- S: (v) promise, assure (make a promise or commitment)
- S: (v) promise (promise to undertake or give) "I promise you my best effort"
- S: (v) predict, foretell, prognosticate, call, forebode, anticipate, promise (make a prediction about; tell in advance) "Call the outcome of an election"
- S: (v) promise (give grounds for expectations) "The new results were promising"; "The results promised fame and glory"