Key: "S:" = Show Synset (semantic) relations, "W:" = Show Word (lexical) relations
Display options for sense: (gloss) "an example sentence"
- S: (n) present, nowadays (the period of time that is happening now; any continuous stretch of time including the moment of speech) "that is enough for the present"; "he lives in the present with no thought of tomorrow"
- S: (n) present (something presented as a gift) "his tie was a present from his wife"
- S: (n) present, present tense (a verb tense that expresses actions or states at the time of speaking)
- S: (v) show, demo, exhibit, present, demonstrate (give an exhibition of to an interested audience) "She shows her dogs frequently"; "We will demo the new software in Washington"
- S: (v) present, represent, lay out (bring forward and present to the mind) "We presented the arguments to him"; "We cannot represent this knowledge to our formal reason"
- S: (v) stage, present, represent (perform (a play), especially on a stage) "we are going to stage `Othello'"
- S: (v) present, submit (hand over formally)
- S: (v) present, pose (introduce) "This poses an interesting question"
- S: (v) award, present (give, especially as an honor or reward) "bestow honors and prizes at graduation"
- S: (v) give, gift, present (give as a present; make a gift of) "What will you give her for her birthday?"
- S: (v) deliver, present (deliver (a speech, oration, or idea)) "The commencement speaker presented a forceful speech that impressed the students"
- S: (v) introduce, present, acquaint (cause to come to know personally) "permit me to acquaint you with my son"; "introduce the new neighbors to the community"
- S: (v) portray, present (represent abstractly, for example in a painting, drawing, or sculpture) "The father is portrayed as a good-looking man in this painting"
- S: (v) confront, face, present (present somebody with something, usually to accuse or criticize) "We confronted him with the evidence"; "He was faced with all the evidence and could no longer deny his actions"; "An enormous dilemma faces us"
- S: (v) present (formally present a debutante, a representative of a country, etc.)
- S: (v) salute, present (recognize with a gesture prescribed by a military regulation; assume a prescribed position) "When the officers show up, the soldiers have to salute"
- S: (adj) present (temporal sense; intermediate between past and future; now existing or happening or in consideration) "the present leader"; "articles for present use"; "the present topic"; "the present system"; "present observations"
- S: (adj) present (being or existing in a specified place) "the murderer is present in this room"; "present at the wedding"; "present at the creation"