Key: "S:" = Show Synset (semantic) relations, "W:" = Show Word (lexical) relations
Display options for sense: (gloss) "an example sentence"
- S: (v) pick up, lift up, gather up (take and lift upward)
- S: (v) pick up (take up by hand) "He picked up the book and started to read"
- S: (v) pick up (give a passenger or a hitchhiker a lift) "We picked up a hitchhiker on the highway"
- S: (v) collect, pick up, gather up, call for (gather or collect) "You can get the results on Monday"; "She picked up the children at the day care center"; "They pick up our trash twice a week"
- S: (v) learn, hear, get word, get wind, pick up, find out, get a line, discover, see (get to know or become aware of, usually accidentally) "I learned that she has two grown-up children"; "I see that you have been promoted"
- S: (v) pick up (get in addition, as an increase) "The candidate picked up thousands of votes after his visit to the nursing home"
- S: (v) collar, nail, apprehend, arrest, pick up, nab, cop (take into custody) "the police nabbed the suspected criminals"
- S: (v) pick up (buy casually or spontaneously) "I picked up some food for a snack"
- S: (v) pick up, receive (register (perceptual input)) "pick up a signal"
- S: (v) pick up (lift out or reflect from a background) "The scarf picks up the color of the skirt"; "His eyes picked up his smile"
- S: (v) pick up (meet someone for sexual purposes) "he always tries to pick up girls in bars"
- S: (v) elate, lift up, uplift, pick up, intoxicate (fill with high spirits; fill with optimism) "Music can uplift your spirits"
- S: (v) turn around, pick up (improve significantly; go from bad to good) "Her performance in school picked up"
- S: (v) catch, pick up (perceive with the senses quickly, suddenly, or momentarily) "I caught the aroma of coffee"; "He caught the allusion in her glance"; "ears open to catch every sound"; "The dog picked up the scent"; "Catch a glimpse"
- S: (v) peck, pick up (eat by pecking at, like a bird)
- S: (v) perk up, perk, percolate, pick up, gain vigor (gain or regain energy) "I picked up after a nap"