Key: "S:" = Show Synset (semantic) relations, "W:" = Show Word (lexical) relations
Display options for sense: (gloss) "an example sentence"
- S: (n) measure, step (any maneuver made as part of progress toward a goal) "the situation called for strong measures"; "the police took steps to reduce crime"
- S: (n) measure, quantity, amount (how much there is or how many there are of something that you can quantify)
- S: (n) bill, measure (a statute in draft before it becomes law) "they held a public hearing on the bill"
- S: (n) measurement, measuring, measure, mensuration (the act or process of assigning numbers to phenomena according to a rule) "the measurements were carefully done"; "his mental measurings proved remarkably accurate"
- S: (n) standard, criterion, measure, touchstone (a basis for comparison; a reference point against which other things can be evaluated) "the schools comply with federal standards"; "they set the measure for all subsequent work"
- S: (n) meter, metre, measure, beat, cadence ((prosody) the accent in a metrical foot of verse)
- S: (n) measure, bar (musical notation for a repeating pattern of musical beats) "the orchestra omitted the last twelve bars of the song"
- S: (n) measuring stick, measure, measuring rod (measuring instrument having a sequence of marks at regular intervals; used as a reference in making measurements)
- S: (n) measure (a container of some standard capacity that is used to obtain fixed amounts of a substance)
- S: (v) measure, mensurate, measure out (determine the measurements of something or somebody, take measurements of) "Measure the length of the wall"
- S: (v) quantify, measure (express as a number or measure or quantity) "Can you quantify your results?"
- S: (v) measure (have certain dimensions) "This table surfaces measures 20inches by 36 inches"
- S: (v) measure, evaluate, valuate, assess, appraise, value (evaluate or estimate the nature, quality, ability, extent, or significance of) "I will have the family jewels appraised by a professional"; "access all the factors when taking a risk"