Key: "S:" = Show Synset (semantic) relations, "W:" = Show Word (lexical) relations
Display options for sense: (gloss) "an example sentence"
- S: (n) life, living (the experience of being alive; the course of human events and activities) "he could no longer cope with the complexities of life"
- S: (n) living (people who are still living) "save your pity for the living"
- S: (n) animation, life, living, aliveness (the condition of living or the state of being alive) "while there's life there's hope"; "life depends on many chemical and physical processes"
- S: (n) support, keep, livelihood, living, bread and butter, sustenance (the financial means whereby one lives) "each child was expected to pay for their keep"; "he applied to the state for support"; "he could no longer earn his own livelihood"
- S: (v) populate, dwell, live, inhabit (be an inhabitant of or reside in) "People lived in Africa millions of years ago"; "The people inhabited the islands that are now deserted"; "this kind of fish dwells near the bottom of the ocean"; "deer are populating the woods"
- S: (v) live (lead a certain kind of life; live in a certain style) "we had to live frugally after the war"
- S: (v) survive, last, live, live on, go, endure, hold up, hold out (continue to live and avoid dying) "We went without water and food for 3 days"; "These superstitions survive in the backwaters of America"; "The race car driver lived through several very serious accidents"; "how long can a person last without food and water?" "One crash victim died, the other lived"
- S: (v) exist, survive, live, subsist (support oneself) "he could barely exist on such a low wage"; "Can you live on $2000 a month in New York City?"; "Many people in the world have to subsist on $1 a day"
- S: (v) be, live (have life, be alive) "Our great leader is no more"; "My grandfather lived until the end of war"
- S: (v) know, experience, live (have firsthand knowledge of states, situations, emotions, or sensations) "I know the feeling!"; "have you ever known hunger?"; "I have lived a kind of hell when I was a drug addict"; "The holocaust survivors have lived a nightmare"; "I lived through two divorces"
- S: (v) live (pursue a positive and satisfying existence) "You must accept yourself and others if you really want to live"
- S: (adj) living (pertaining to living persons) "within living memory"
- S: (adj) living (true to life; lifelike) "the living image of her mother"
- S: (adj) living ((informal) absolute) "she is a living doll"; "scared the living daylights out of them"; "beat the living hell out of him"
- S: (adj) surviving, living (still in existence) "the Wollemi pine found in Australia is a surviving specimen of a conifer thought to have been long extinct and therefore known as a living fossil"; "the only surviving frontier blockhouse in Pennsylvania"
- S: (adj) living (still in active use) "a living language"
- S: (adj) living ((used of minerals or stone) in its natural state and place; not mined or quarried) "carved into the living stone"