Key: "S:" = Show Synset (semantic) relations, "W:" = Show Word (lexical) relations
Display options for sense: (gloss) "an example sentence"
- S: (v) check, turn back, arrest, stop, contain, hold back (hold back, as of a danger or an enemy; check the expansion or influence of) "Arrest the downward trend"; "Check the growth of communism in South East Asia"; "Contain the rebel movement"; "Turn back the tide of communism"
- S: (v) forbear, hold back (refrain from doing) "she forbore a snicker"
- S: (v) wait, hold off, hold back (wait before acting) "the scientists held off announcing their results until they repeated the experiment"
- S: (v) retain, hold, keep back, hold back (secure and keep for possible future use or application) "The landlord retained the security deposit"; "I reserve the right to disagree"
- S: (v) conceal, hold back, hold in (hold back; keep from being perceived by others) "She conceals her anger well"
- S: (v) restrain, keep, keep back, hold back (prevent the action or expression of) "hold back your anger"; "keep your cool"; "she struggled to restrain her impatience at the delays"